My husband left our Taste of Home magazine open to this page. I love coconut. He loves lemons. My girls love macaroons! We had to make these. We made them for our annual Woman of Worth Picnic. The recipe yields quite a view cookies, so we were able to keep a batch at home, too.
- 4 large egg whites
- Dash cream of tartar
- Dash salt
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 package (14 ounces) plus 2 cups flaked coconut
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1. Preheat oven to 325°. In a small bowl, beat egg whites, cream of tartar and salt until stiff peaks form. In a large bowl, beat milk and lemon juice on high until thickened, about 3 minutes. Stir in coconut, lemon peel and baking powder; fold in beaten egg whites.
- 2. Drop coconut mixture by rounded tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets.
When we visited Manteo, NC, we went shopping at the Tanger Mall Outlets. The kitchen store had this wonderful invention! It’s called a non-stick silicone baking mat by Mrs. Anderson’s Bakery. I only had one mat, so I had to use parchment paper for the other cookie sheets. The Baking Mat was awesome! A must for your kitchen, or a thoughtful, unique gift for a friend!
I gave you the link within the title of the product above so you can order!
1 cookie: 119 calories, 7g fat (6g saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 109mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein
A lovely picnic…..