I have found the best cooking magazine! It’s called Taste of Home: Make and Take. Standing in the line at Home Depot it caught my eye and every page was an announced–“Oh Parish, we have to cook this recipe!” My love for the movie Julie and Julia (GREAT MOVIE–has a lot of scenes from France, which I love.) challenged me to consider making all of the recipes throughout the year until done! Here is the first one. Who does not like yellow peppers, basil, watermelon, brown sugar, cilantro, vinegar, cucumbers?
I found a recipe that mixes all these fine ingredients together to make a prize winning watermelon salsa! Go Carolyn Butterfield of Lake Stevens, Washington! She won first place with this one!
- 2 cups seeded finely chopped watermelon
- 1/2 cup finely chopped peeled cucumber
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped sweet red pepper
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh mint
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- Baked tortilla chip scoops
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the watermelon, cucumber, onion, peppers and herbs. Drizzle with honey and lime juice; gently toss to coat.
- 2. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Serve with chips. Yield: 3 cups.
1/4 cup: 22 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0mg cholesterol, 1mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (5g sugars, trace fiber), trace protein Diabetic Exchanges:1/2 starch