Happy Anniversary to my love of 24 years! I remember a marriage conference in which a speaker shared you don’t find your soul mate, you work at marriage and your mate BECOMES your soul mate. So true. Parish and I over the years have grown in more ways than one and truthfully it seems that in the different seasons of life we rediscover each other and God’s plan for our marriage. Early in our years of raising little babies and beginning our careers, we were consumed with the busy of all that life brings when you are 20 and 30 something. In our 40’s we are rediscovering the second half of our lifetime together. We have a choice to remain status quo or grow. So, today, is filled with work, obligations, and potential interference of the best laid plans; however, we are taking a leap of faith to celebrate us in an extravagant way with purposeful intentions. The world will keep spinning, demanding, asking of you but will you take the time to stop and celebrate “us”. Step outside the hamster wheel for just a moment and say, “You are worth it to me.”
24 Reasons We are still in Love
(Disclaimer: We strive for these things, miss the mark, but God is gracious)
1. We love Jesus and read His Word about marriage
2. We love our children and want them to see a loving, growing marriage
3. We don’t read or listen to secular ideals of marriage
4. We argue. We forgive.
5. We realize that no one is perfect, and both of us are humans with a past that impacted our future relationships, but with God’s grace we can heal and do better
6. We laugh and enjoy each other’s company
7. We both have a strong work ethic and realize how important providing for our family is to our future security
8. We anchor to Hope in hard times and wait patiently on the Lord
9. We strive for the top 3 – Jesus, Marriage, then children. (We get off-balance often but at least we strive)
10. We support each other in our dreams and future goals
11. We cry together
12. We sing together
13. We walk together
14. We are okay with bad breath in the morning (well kind of–it’s not a deal breaker at least )
15. We are willing …..
16. We are passionate….
17. We say no to things that would come between us
18. We pray together
19. During the day, we think of each other
20. We plan our future together
21. We have budget meetings together
22. We don’t compare ourselves to others (ummmmmm I’m still working on that one…)
23. We kiss each other in front of our children so we can hear them say, “oooooooooooo disgusting will you stop!”
24. We desire to grow old together…
1 Corinthians 13:4-7
4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.