After listening to a sermon on the woman at the well in which Jesus spoke to the woman about her 5 husbands, divorces, and current cohabitation, I began to ask or ponder–“What about the men?”
The woman encountered Jesus at the well and was forever changed. Her influence over her small village created a bridge for others to hear the message of Jesus, and they also believed.
Although this event occurred thousands of years ago, not much has changed in relationships between men and women. I can only imagine, but have no evidence, that this woman was filled with confusion, shame, and, yes, maybe, a prideful spirit of “I’ll live my life my way and disregarded God’s best”. How wonderful she encountered Jesus and was offered grace, mercy, and living water.
What about the six men? What was their responsibility in this life story?
Since Adam’s lack of leadership within the garden, and Eve’s disobedience, relationships have struggled between men and women in marriage. Have you ever heard a sermon or message on the six men? We have so many thoughts and questions surrounding the woman and her encounter; yet, what about the men?
The sermon or message would perhaps be entitled “Honorable Men who Lead with the Heart and Mind of Christ”. There are many ministries that have been birthed from this desperate need in our society–Noble Warriors and Promise Keepers are a few.
The man’s role in the marriage, home, and in parenting is so paramount, that I personally believe it’s where the enemy concentrates. If he can destroy the foundation of leadership within the home–the husband/father, then all the deep insecurities of the wife/mother are realized. We feel alone, fearful, and trust is compromised. Thus, the vicious cycle continues of confusion of roles, fear, pride, anger, and ultimately apathy and disconnect.
How did we get from the promises here:
To this place?
Because of the culture we live in, it is rare that a woman can write or talk about this without sounding like she’s out-of-place, or nagging, or has too high of expectations. Yet, what do you do, as a woman, when you fiercely see this need in our society? How will the cycle be broken?
I’d love to believe that when Jesus visited the woman’s village and spoke of His redeeming love, that the six men were there and were, also, forever changed.
I pray for men to encounter Jesus and with confidence, gentleness, and love, lead their family.
The Resolution from the movie and movement Courageous is a GREAT place to start!
THE RESOLUTION FOR MEN
I do solemnly resolve before God to take full responsibility for myself, my wife, and my children.
- I WILL love them, protect them, serve them, and teach them the Word of God as the spiritual leader of my home.
- I WILL be faithful to my wife, to love and honor her, and be willing to lay down my life for her as Jesus Christ did for me.
- I WILL bless my children and teach them to love God with all of their hearts, all of their minds, and all of their strength.
- I WILL train them to honor authority and live responsibly.
- I WILL confront evil, pursue justice, and love mercy.
- I WILL pray for others and treat them with kindness, respect, and compassion.
- I WILL work diligently to provide for the needs of my family.
- I WILL forgive those who have wronged me and reconcile with those I have wronged.
- I WILL learn from my mistakes, repent of my sins, and walk with integrity as a man answerable to God.
- I WILL seek to honor God, be faithful to His church, obey His Word, and do His will.
- I WILL courageously work with the strength God provides to fulfill this resolution for the rest of my life and for His glory.
As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord. (Joshua 24:15)